Recipe developed exclusively for SpaceFarms by Jeffrey Spear (Serves 4)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoon lime juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup hearts of palm, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 oz. crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon basil, cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
- 1 tablespoon mint, cut into thin strips (chiffonade)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz arugula
- 2 oranges, supremed*
Make a dressing by whisking together the olive oil, lemon juice, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Place the hearts of palm in a bowl, mix in half of the dressing and mix, then cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. Use the remaining salad dressing to prepare the crabmeat and for serving.
In another bowl, mix the crabmeat, cilantro, basil, mint, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the prepared dressing. Toss gently until thoroughly mixed, taking care not to break up the crab.
To serve, divide the arugula evenly between 4 plates, then top with equal amounts of hearts of palm and crab. Garnish with 4 orange supremes on each salad. Drizzle a little extra dressing over top.
*Supreming is a relatively simple culinary technique used to remove the peel, bitter pith and membranes from wedges of citrus. There are lots of educational videos available online – simply search the phrase “how to supreme citrus.”